How do I report my Retro card lost, stolen or damaged?

Bank Cards, Security

If your Retro card is lost or stolen, please call:

During office hours

After hours

Your card will be cancelled immediately, and a new card will be issued.

We will then send you a “Card Maintenance Form” and “Lost-Stolen VISA Report” which you will need to complete and send back to us via post to PO Box 710, West Perth, WA 6872 or via email to